Dynasty Impact: Ward is a well-rounded safety that can help against the run and pass. Has great hands that could rack up interceptions in IDP leagues. Undersized but has a great motor. However, there’s no place for him now with Antoine Bethea and Eric Reid manning both safety positions. Won’t have much of an IDP effect his first year.
- 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick had an extremely efficient day, going 10/16 for 164 yards and one touchdown along with two rushing touchdowns. He’s still going to be a top-tier quarterback in dynasty circles for a long time.
- Jaguars receiver Cecil Shorts III continues to perform with seven catches for 74 yards on 10 targets. With an upgrade at quarterback next year, he’s sure to improve. Now might be a good time to make a play for Shorts.
- 49ers rookie safety Eric Reid had eight tackles to go along with a pass defended. Reid will be a great producer for many years.
- Houston running back Arian Foster is looking more like his old self again. I still wouldn’t trust it for dynasty purposes beyond this year and would try to get value for him now.
- Meanwhile, fellow running back Ben Tate had 4.0 YPC and continues to show he can produce as well. He’s a guy to target and she’s sure to get a starting job somewhere next year.
- Unfortunately, the DeAndre Hopkins train has been slowing down as he only had four receptions for 23 yards for a second straight disappointing week. Hopkins will still be fine and now might actually be a good time to try to pick him off.
- For San Francisco, running the ball worked again (shock) as Frank Gore had 81 yards on 17 carries. Gore still has another year on his contract and I just can’t see anyone taking his place before then. Sorry all you Marcus Lattimore/Kenall Hunter lovers.
- The receivers in San Francisco are just…bad. And until Michael Crabtree comes back and they improve the position as a whole, Colin Kaepernick will suffer as well. I trust the brain trust to upgrade the receivers in the off-season and Kap will be fine.
- 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman continues to do this thing with 13 more tackles. He might be the best linebacker in dynasty IDP leagues.
- 49ers rookie safety Eric Reid continued his good play with eight tackles and a pass defended. He should be a good one for a while.
And a happy Sunday to you.
- The Giants are expected to split carries between Andre Brown and David Wilson. That #12 ranking for Wilson might be a tad high.
- Norv Turner sees Cleveland running back Trent Richardson with 300 carries and 60 catches. Giddy. Up.
- San Diego looks to use running back Danny Woodhead on passing situations. Ryan Mathews now seems appropriately ranked at #24.
- St. Louis tight end Jared Cook has been connecting with Sam Bradford. Cook may realize his full potential in St. Louis. His #8 ranking could seem low.
- Buffalo receiver Stevie Johnson could miss most of the pre-season with a hammy injury. It’s disappointing as Johnson was running in the slot in the hopes of being the Buffalo Wes Welker.
- Patriots running back Shane Vereen has been lining up all over the place and appears to have gained the trust of Tom Brady. Vereen is currently 32nd in dynasty ranks and makes for a great RB3.
- Arizona running back Rashard Mendenhall is nursing knee tendonitis. With Ryan Williams also hurt, the running back situation in the desert could get real ugly.
- Eric Reid should be the starter at safety for San Francisco heading into the season. Reid is already the 37th ranked DB in dynasty ranks.
Happy kickoff everybody!