- Confirming what was widely expected, the Lions intend to use running back Joique Bell more this season, as opposed to Reggie Bush. Bell is, arguably, the better runner while Bush offers more in the passing game. Both of their dynasty values will be limited unless the other gets injured and shouldn’t be projected as anything more than RB3.
- Chargers general manager Tom Telesco re-affirmed Ryan Mathews as their workhorse running back. Mathews finally cashed in on his dynasty potential last year and is one of the few full-time running backs left in fantasy football. He’s an ideal RB2 in dynasty leagues for 2014 and beyond.
- The Texans signed quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. This indicates two things: 1) the Texans are likely taking a quarterback with the first overall pick (as opposed to signing a better, win-now option like Mike Vick) and 2) Fitzpatrick should see some playing time early on in the season. If you end up with the Texans quarterback of the future, be sure to snap Fitzpatrick in your dynasty leagues. It also means the end of the Matt Schaub-era in Houston.
- In other backup quarterback news, Jason Campbell signed with the Bengals to back up Andy Dalton. There were calls at the end of last season for the Bengals to do something about Dalton and signing Campbell won’t change that. Campbell is one of the better back ups in the league and is surrounded by talent in Cincinnati. It’s a serious question if Dalton is their long-term plan at quarterback or not.
- The Panthers recently signed Jerricho Cotchery to be their top receiving option. You have to assume the Panthers have a plan at receiver after missing on every option before Cotchery while cutting veteran Steve Smith. Luckily, there are a ton of receivers in this years draft.